To Let go = To Surrender
lord I surrender! When we truly surrender we trust God to work and fight on our behalf. While letting go of our situation may seem like if we have given up, we have indeed let go by stop fighting in our own strength. In doing this we relinquish control to God allowing his grace to flow from us into our situation. No matter what arises don’t take it back by worrying and strife (worldly fight) but keep the faith and have patience knowing that he will see us through.
What or who are we fighting?
We quarrel, we fuss and we worry when our situations don’t work out as we expect. When we worry or quarrel we give focus to the things in our life that doesn’t matter. We end up fighting flesh and blood, which God says in his word that we should avoid because that’s not our real enemy. The devil is out to steal kill and destroy everything that matters in our lives, our families, our relationships, our finances, our job you name it. When we try to fix our situation we do so by leaning on our own understanding of how things should be. James 4 says “What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.” James 4:1-2 NIV. This scripture is so powerful and real, it depicts why we fight, while ending with… We do not have because we do not ask. Oh what can happen if we just ask in prayer, let go and let God fight for us.
We spend a lot of our time fussing about our “problems” but how often do we pray about what is worrying us. Truly asking God to take our cares in exchange for his peace. We give focus to the real enemy when we worry.
Worry is a distraction that the enemy uses to take our eyes off of God and off of the real enemy.
Our enemy is not our situation, our enemy is the devil and he uses our infirmities to distract us allowing us to fight our own battles with our own understanding. Gods thoughts are not our thoughts, his way of response is not the same way we respond. If we trust in the lord with all our heart leaning not on our own understanding in a matter he promises to direct our path (Proverbs 3: 5-6). We just have to rest in him, do what we are required to do (love, encourage, uplift, serve )let him work on our behalf, while not trying to take up our cares when we have already given them to him.
God’s promise to fight on our behalf
In 2 chronicles 20 the lord spoke to king Jehoshaphat when they were preparing to fight an army that was already set out towards their kingdom. He said (vs 17) “You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you.” The promise came after they sought the lord for help (vs 3-4). This is what the lord also promises us, all he asks in return is for us to position ourselves, this means, don’t come down, stay seated (at rest) in him. Let principalities and powers know that for this reason the son of man was risen, that you will bow! God wants us to position in prayer (fight in prayer) and trust that he will see us through. Woo! what power and authority we possess when we stand on Gods word and obey his voice.
How do I let God fight for me?
For the past two weeks I have being learning to position myself and let God fight for me. I want to be in that place where I don’t need to change any situation with my own strength because God will fight on my behalf. To fight the right way we have to:
- Pray about everything not forgetting to praise God as we begin to see change taking place.
- Worship and more worship.Worship is a way of re-establishing our trust in God, as we position ourselves in him we release all our burdens in worship.
- Chose to be positive, quiet and silent no matter what comes your way. You may say, “but my buttons were pushed”, however there should be no buttons. We should not allow anything to stare us off course and loose focus. Read 1 Peter 3.
- In letting God fight we have to let go of all that is worrying us. Don’t talk about our issues or even think about it. Ask God for the strength to forget and not talk about our issues. This will help us to forgive and live in each moment.
- Encourage yourself in the word of God. Our contentment should not come from the things or people in our life but from God, who is our source.
- Have a new perspective on purpose. Know that you have the power to overcome your thoughts. When negativity comes declare out loud by faith that you have the mind of Christ!
- Submit to God, Resist the devil and he will flee, James 10:10. Get to know God in a real way, seek him daily through his word, desire his mind and exercise your authority over the enemy and his evil works, Resist him out loud, he has to flee.
- In waiting for your battle to be won do what God’s desires of you. love more, be positive, help someone.
- This process has to be done daily as the enemy is in constant pursuit to devour. As we keep at it we develop a new default setting where we don’t fuss instead we pray, leaving all out issues in the hands of God.
How do you plan to stop fighting in your own strength today? Leave us a comment below…