We have all heard and know that God is love, but really what does that mean to us? Let’s take a moment to think about this…
God is love, but what does love require of me? God (love) requires relationship and intimate fellowship with each of us. Love want to be close! If you love someone wouldn’t you want to be close to them, in communion and covenant with them or constantly in communication with that loved one? Answer: Yes! Well that is what God requires of us, he want to be near. He wants in, he wants relationship. Love want to be near us. If someone says they love you and does not do the things that true pure love requires, is that love? Answer: No! Sometimes we say we love God in words but we deny him in our actions, even in the way we love, care and talk about others. Just thinking about that make me repent. “Lord if there is any area in my life which shows that I don’t love you I want to know, please forgive me.” “Love” wants to draw near to us guys, to be first, for that to happen we have to give of ourselves. We can draw near to God (in pray, praise, reading his word, in our lifestyle, our speech, even through the way we treat others) and he will draw near to us. James 4:8 says ” Draw near to God and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.” Even though he want to be near to us he will not be forced on us. Love is patient ( study 1 Corinthians 13), he will wait for us to want him, that way our love for him is pure.
Why be near?
- When we are not living near or close to God the cares of the world throws us. The more we draw close to God and we begin to see how good he is, our problems seems small as we adore him over our issues.
- When we live near God the overflow of his presence falls to others, our lives will minister to our families, our sphere of influence. Our responses to situations will became of point of reference.
- When we live near God sin looses its power as we begin to desire more of God, his principles his ways. Where we live from that place of “I hide your word God in my heart so I will, so I won’t sin against you.
- Its good for me to draw near to God, when I am near things that were once difficult to handle becomes easier. Why because I relay on his way, his response, his direction to get me through. Some people will ask how do you do it, my response with Gods help.
- Because without him I am nothing, but a noisy, empty instrument.
“But it is good for me to draw near to God; I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, That I may declare all Your works.” Psalms 73:28 NKJV